Monday, April 27, 2015

Spring pick up #1 - Great Greens!


So my CSA has actually started.  I know, I wasn't ready for it either!  Spring crops are really great because you get a lot of typical stuff that you can always use (like lettuce for salads) and non typical stuff that I usually don't cook with like beets.  The biggest issue with spring crops is that they are all kind of the same...usually some sort of greens:  lettuce, beets with greens, asian greens, cabbage, etc. The other issue with many of these greens is that its tough to process them for long term storage.  You have to use them soon after harvesting.  I will go over some strategies in dealing with these over the next couple of weeks, but for now, here is what I got for my week #1:

Lettuce
Beets and greens
Bok Choy
Horseradish root
microgreens
a sunflower plant
honey

We did already get notice that due to cold temps and a cabbage worm, there wouldn't be any cabbages for now.  That is the CSA risk, but regardless, it was a pretty good first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment