Monday, June 1, 2015

When in doubt, fritter


I've had kohlrabi before. I know I don't like it. There. I said it. One of those wierd CSA veggies that everyone gets to discover in their share and say how much they LOOOVE it. Nope. Not me. I've had it. It's not good. It's like a turnip. But weirder. Way weirder. But like a turnip it's got that spicy tangy taste, very firm texture and greens attached. Woo. Hoo. At any rate, I was less than thrilled to get it in this weeks share but hey, it's all about what you make of it. I saw a recipe out our csa facebook page for kohlrabi carrot fritters and what do you know, I got carrots this week too. So, that's what we did. Fritter the little suckers. 

I did follow a recipe, but basically I grated my one kohlrabi and a couple of carrots in my food processor. Then I wrapped in a towel to squeeze any moisture our. Combined in a bowl with one egg, some salt, some seasoned salt, and a handful of breadcrumbs. Formed little pancakes with my hands, again squeezing moisture out and placed in a HOT pan with HOT oil. Cooked about 5 minutes on each side. The end result was,well, still had that funky kohlrabi taste.  But really the more you ate it the less you noticed it. I topped mine with some blended avocado cream. End result. Ate it. But I'm not getting kohlrabi again. Also served it with roasted chickpeas and steamed broccoli from my share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment