Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Arugula Pesto Pizza



I had arugula from this week AND arugula from last week. Time to do something with it and fast. Whenever you have a lot of something to use up it may not be possible to eat it all during normal family meal time. If that happens, it is time to find a way to process your vegetables for long term storage. The problem with the greens of spring is that they can only be used fresh. Luckily, arugula is one of those items that you can make pesto out of, and you can freeze pesto!  To make my pesto I used about four cups of fresh arugula. Add about 1/2 cup cheese, the juice of one lemon, one garlic clove, salt and pepper, if you have some, add some basil. And if your arugula is really bitter, I'd add a bit of honey. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Once chopped finely, stream in olive oil until desired consistency.  You can use it on sandwiches, pasta, or pizza. I spread my pesto onto pizza dough and then add smashed potatoes. In this case, I also added some microgreens. In three weeks, this was my first time using these. Oops. I froze the leftover pesto in ice cube trays and will used them on future pizzas or maybe add to soups when an Italian flavor is needed. 


Unfortunately, after two huge double batches of pesto, I still had arugula left!  Argh!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, arugula pesto, good idea! I'm sort of surprised you haven't used the microgreens -- I feel like they're the easiest to use up because you don't need a recipe or plan. I just throw them on top of my salads/pasta/wraps/sandwiches/etc.

    ReplyDelete