Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Spring Salad


The easiest thing to do with all the lettuce I have gotten is of course make a main dish salad. The problem with the main dish salad is how do I get my kids to eat it?  They actually might stuff a couple of leaves in their mouth by accident, but that won't be enough to keep them full until breakfast the next day. I made a salad based on a similar one from Iowa Girl Eats. For my kids and husband, I actually baked bonelss chicken thighs with salt pepper and a few spices. For me, I roasted chickpeas also with some spices. Everyone got a mound of lettuce on their plate, and at the table, I had the chicken, chickpeas, but also roasted cashews, mango, and the big kicker - fresh bread!  Usually I make my own in my bread machine, but due to time constraints I used french bread from the grocery store instead. The bread is my secret weapon. I always have it as a side when serving soups or salads for dinner. That way, I know there will be at least one thing that everyone likes!  I made a simple lime honey vinaigrette dressing and dinner was served. Everyone got to put exactly what they wanted on their salad and some (Andy) just ate bread. Oh Andy!

1 comment: